Once again, the ceremony The 50 best restaurants in the world became a celebration occasion for the Argentines since the Buenos Aires grill Don Julio continues among the 15 best restaurants in the world. This time managed to place in 14th place of the ranking,
The 50 Best 2022 ceremony took place this Monday, July 18, at the Old Billingsgate MarketLondon’s old fish market, bringing together representatives of the industry and many of the most renowned international chefs.
Initially, the gala in which the twentieth anniversary of these awards was celebrated It was scheduled to take place in Moscow, Russia, but the change was made after the war with Ukraine broke out earlier this year.
Hollywood actor Stanley TucciKnown for his work in films such as “The Devil Wears Fashion” and the saga of “The Hunger Games”, acted as conductor of the ceremony. His choice was not arbitrary: Tucci is popular for his love of gastronomy: at the end of 2021 he released an autobiography whose main narrative axis was his favorite dishes.
Like last year, the first place was once again in the hands of a restaurant from Denmark. The best restaurant in the world in 2022 is Geranium, from Copenhagen. Good news for the region: a Latin American remained on the podium: the Peruvian restaurant Central reached second position.
“It is an immense joy to be in the ranking for the 4th consecutive year. (…) They stopped seeing the grill as a minor kitchen. And that is very good for our country.”
Owner of Don Julio Grill
The only Argentine among the best in the world
Don Juliorestaurant located in the Buenos Aires neighborhood of Palermo specializing in high-quality grilled meat, had already been chosen among the top ten in Latin America last November in the 50 Best Restaurants awards for the region.
In 2021 it reached the 13th position in the world, so that dropped one position and remained in the top 15. Pablo Rivero, owner of Don Julio, participated in the ceremony: “It is an immense joy to be in the ranking for the fourth consecutive year. The pandemic meant great difficulty in traveling, which was added to how far Argentina is for those who rate restaurants,” he told Clarín.
Pablo Rivero, owner of Don Julio, in The 50 Best.
Self-improvement is the key to Don Julio’s success. “This recognition is always a great motivator for the team. But the most important thing of all is that the grill as a culinary concept is already an accepted cuisine in the world. They stopped seeing the grill as a minor kitchen. And that is very good for our country,” Rivero said.
Unlike Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants, where last year the Tegui restaurant was also selected, this time Don Julio was the only national representative.
Two weeks ago, the list of restaurants that ranked between 51 and 100 was announced. One of the novelties was the entrance of the Buenos Aires restaurant Mishiguene by chef Tomás Kalika in position 88. This gastronomic space, whose name means “crazy” in Yiddish, is recognized for its reinventions of Ahkenazi and Sephardic dishes.
The vote of the World’s 50 Best Restaurants is run by a jury made up of more than 1,000 industry representatives from around the world. They include chefs, restaurant owners, critics and other experts.
The complete list of the 50 best restaurants in the world 2021
1. Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
2. Center (Lima, Peru)
3. Enjoy (Barcelona, Spain)
4. Divergence (Madrid, Spain)
5. Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)
6. Etxebarri Grill (Atxondo, Spain)
7. Casa do Porco (Sao Paulo, Brazil)
8. Lido 84 (Gardone Riviera, Italy)
9. Quintonil (Mexico City, Mexico)
10. Le Calandre, Rubano (Italy)
11. Maido (Lima, Peru)
12. Uliassi (Senigallia, Italy)
13. Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
14. Don Julio (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
15. Reale (Castel Di Sangro, Italy)
16. Elcano (Getaria, Spain)
17. Nobelhart & Schmutzig (Berlin, Germany)
18. Alchemist (Copenhagen, Denmark)
19. Duomo Square (Alba, Italy)
20. Den (Tokyo, Japan)
21. Mugaritz (San Sebastian, Spain)
22. Septime (Paris, France)
23. The Jane (Antwerp, Belgium)
24. The President (Hong Kong, China)
25. Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)
26. Tim Raue (Berlin, Germany)
27. Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem (Belgium)
28. Le Clarence (Paris, France)
29. Saint Hubert (San Cassiano, Italy)
30. Florilege (Tokyo, Japan)
31. Arpege (Paris, France)
32. Mayta (Lima, Peru)
33. Atomix (New York, USA)
34. Hisa Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
35. The Clove Club (London, England)
36. Odette (Singapore)
37. Fyn (Cape Town, South Africa)
38. Jordanaer (Copenhagen, Denmark)
39. Sorn (Bangkok, Thailand)
40. Schauenstein Castle (Fuerstenau, Switzerland)
41. La Cime (Osaka, Japan)
42. Quique Dacosta (Denia, Spain)
43. Borago (Santiago de Chile, Chile)
44. Le Bernardin (New York, USA)
45. Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
46. Belcanto (Lisbon, Portugal)
47. Oteque (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil)
48. Leo (Bogota, Colombia)
49. Ikoyi (London, UK)
50. Singlethread (California, United States)