what happens if the passport that contains it expires and 5 other common questions


Those who have already obtained permission to go to the United States often have some questions before traveling. The official answers.

Many questions and some fears usually appear when it touches apply for a visa to travel to the United States, in order to fill out the forms and for the interview.

Now, among the Argentines who of they have a visa and now they are close to leaving for the North American country for sightseeing, business, study or other reasons, there are also several Doubts that usually appear and cause concern.

Especially when the traveler begins to check expiration dates of the visa and the passport, which can be very different. And also in the face of certain unforeseen events that may arise, such as the loss or the Stole of documentation or detection of mistakes in her.

Before the frequent inquiries for issues of this type, the Embassy of the United States in Buenos Aires and its Visa Information and Appointment System have published some explanatory guides.

Here are 6 common questions about the use of visa and what are their answers.

1. Can I still use a valid visa if the passport it was printed on has expired?

Sometimes the passport expires before the visa, and the traveler doubts its validity. Photo: Shutterstock.

The expiration of the passport does not invalidate the visa placed on one of its pages. It will continue to be used to enter the United States until its own expiration dateor until it is canceled or revoked.

What is indicated for these cases is that the traveler present both passports. “As a general rule, we can say that if your passport has expired and has a valid visa in it, you can travel with that passport with a visa and your new valid passport,” they clarify from the Embassy.

For this to be accepted the visa must be validin good condition (not damaged) and be the corresponding type of visa for the purpose of the trip (tourism, work, etc.). In addition, both passports must be from the same kind and of same country.

2. What happens to a valid visa if the passport it was on is lost or stolen?

In case of loss or theft of the passport, before traveling it will be necessary to cancel the visa Y ask for a new one.

To cancel the visa, it is indicated report theft or loss by sending an email to BNS-FPU@state.gov with all the data and a attached form (the one downloaded here) duly completed.

“If your visa is found after the report of the same, cannot be used and must manage a new visa“, they add.

If the visa is lost, you must report what happened to the Department of State and request a new one.  Photo: Télam/File.

If the visa is lost, you must report what happened to the Department of State and request a new one. Photo: Télam/File.

3. If my passport expires in less than 6 months, can I still enter the United States?

Tourist and business visas allow the traveler to stay legally in the United States for a maximum of 6 months. For this reason, many assume that in order to allow them to enter they will be asked to show a passport that is missing at least 6 months full validity.

Although this is suggestedfor the Argentines it’s not mandatory since the country is in the so-called “Six-Month Club” (Club of the Six Months): a group of nations whose citizens are allowed to travel to the United States even if their passports have less than 6 months validity ahead.

Now, despite this, the validity of the passport you carry does should cover the entire stayplanned. “If not, it can be capped at maturity of the passport”, warn the consular authorities.

4. If my visa will expire shortly before departure, is there a way to extend it instead of applying for a new visa?

Nope. Even if the visa has not yet expired, but it will not cover the trip, it will have to be done again the entire application process of a new visa.

“However -they point out-, those people who are renewing a United States visa, or who meet some other criteria related to the agemay qualify for a interview waiver for the visa”, which will be defined by the consular officers at the time of scheduling the appointment.

5. I have an “indefinite” visa, can I travel without doing more paperwork?

Nope. indefinite visas are no longer valid. People who once got them will now have to apply for a new visa if they intend to enter the United States.

Little by little, trips to the United States are beginning to return to normal, and so are consular procedures.  Photo: File.

Little by little, trips to the United States are beginning to return to normal, and so are consular procedures. Photo: File.

6. What do I do if I detect an error in the visa before leaving?

If there is any difference between the personal information that appear on the visa and those that are in the passport, that could generate delays to the traveler upon arrival in the United States, until the situation can be clarified.

If when reviewing the visa, the traveler detects an error in the data, he will have to process your replacement appearing at the Embassy (Av. Colombia 4300, CABA).

The replacement, which it has no costcan be ordered up to 365 days later of the issuance of the visa. After the year, you will have to make a new application and pay a new visa fee.

Where to find answers to other doubts about the visa to travel to the United States?

The Embassy provides Information in spanish on “non-immigrant” visas through the official website. And it has published there two lists of frequently asked questions worth checking out:

  1. General questions about the visa for the United States.
  2. Questions about the procedure and the general process.

If the data you are looking for is not found on these websites, you can send the query through this form.


Look also

Leave a Comment